JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT SEARCH


Saturday, March 14, 2009

We LOVE Leftovers!

I just realised I hadn't blogged today as I have been busy listing items on ebay all day. It is much more time consuming than I thought it would be. Anyway I thought out loud " what am I going to blog about?"

The answer came back fast from the family room: " Tell them how you're making us eat leftovers!"

OK , sounds like a good topic to me.

A couple of days ago I gave the family a lecture (yes another one!) on the value of leftovers and the wastefullness of throwing out food each week just because we've been too lazy to eat it and it's gone bad in the fridge. I skipped the bit about the starving children in Africa as I sensed that would be going just a bit too far and told them I had cut the food budget in half and we just have to eat what we have.

Well it's amazing how much leftover food can be made into something else. And it tastes good. We are all getting in the habit of looking in the fridge and cupboards first to see what is already there and then deciding what to cook. Who cares if we all eat different things sometimes so long as we're fed.

I really wonder how we got so out of touch with these simple measures over the years. But somhow we did.... I suppose we got too busy raising children, making money, working... just busy living really. And somehow we lost touch with a lot of the simple ways we used to save money when we were younger and had to.

Well we are determined that our first monthly total on the 1st July will see that red bar on the top right come down! To move it 1% we need to pay $1523.77 off the principle of the loan plus the months interest.

We are going to really try and do 1% in our first month. So we have agreed to eat out the stored food in the pantry and the freezer and put every extra cent that is in bank at the end of the month into the home loan. I think finding out about the $600 bonus yesterday made me think that we really can do it! It would be a great start and give us a real boost to keep at it.

We bought 2 cake mixes for <$5 and made chocolate cake so that we can eat a peice of cake instead of going to the corner shop and buying choccies and chips at $15 - $20 a trip. It is working well. No trips to the shops now for junk food since I made that post about adding up the cost.

So let me see what is on the menu for tonight... as you can see the fridge is full of vegetables. That's because hubby and I didn't communicate and we both shopped for vegies on the same day.

Anyway the leftovers in the containers reveal that tonight we will be dining on: stir fried chicken, rice, bolgnaise and pasta.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT