JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT SEARCH


Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How to save money on Hair Care.

This morning I saved myself $30. How did I do it? Well I cut my own hair.

I used to cut my hair when I was at uni to save money. When I started earning an income again I treated myself to getting my hair cut ($30), coloured ($80) and buying myself luxurious hair care products (shampoo $17, conditioner $20, colour definition brilliance fluid $12.95, smooth & shine serum $8.95) This would last 10-12-weeks.

Last night while I was cursing the fact I need a cut and colour I started adding it all up. I pulled apart the bathroom and looked all the 'products' that we buy as a family for hair care! There were lots of them, many half used.

So this morning I made another family announcement! (they are getting used to it now!). No more fancy hair care products. I will find an inexpensive shampoo & conditioner and beyond that they pay for thier own.

Now my hubby, dad and son were not at all perterbed or even remotely interested "whatever" was the response. They cut thier hair using a razor at home so there are no hair cut costs. Teenage daughter is happy to pay for her own products to maintain her lovely hair 'do'. She already pays for her haircuts.

I have put out all the bottles of half used shampoo etc to be used up. I will go back to home colouring and cutting it myself. I just think about that mortgage being paid off and it is enought to motivate me.

I have found a couple of other blogs mentioning savings on hair care and products. The Frugal Law Student still gets mum to cut his hair even though he's 26. Over at Wallowing in Debt there is good article and review of using henna. Blogging Away Debt also saves money on haircuts.

Well that's another step closer to reducing my living expenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT