JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT SEARCH


Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Mixed Bag and a Rant to boot!

A lot has happened today. My dad has been unwell for a few days and will be admitted to hospital for a day or two next week. This means a 4 hour trip, accomadation costs and time off work and business. If all goes well I will be off work about three- four weeks to look after him. I have leave available so I will get paid. If it doesn't go well.... who knows.


I have spent today contacting clients and cancelling appointments for the next few weeks. After I had just phoned colleagues last week requesting referrals and I had begun to fill my diary. Tommorrow I have to ask them to take over the new work that came my way. My colleagues are understanding and will help me out. However to the companies I contacted last week requesting work, it appears very unprofessional for me to be phoning them again a few days later saying I am again unavailable for at least the next month and possibly longer.

I have considered just shutting shop for the time being to take care of Dad. As a carer I never know what will happen from day to day. I thought the worst was over and last week decided to get stuck into my business again and build it up. My concern is that I am begining to look unreliable to companies that would send me work. I wouldn't want to send work to someone who appears to be frequently unavailable, however valid the reasons. I have a good profesional reputation and I don't want to spoil it.

Now I have to hand over all the new clients that I received last week to others as I can't do the work. I will definitely be thinking long and hard about what to do over the next few weeks. It may be in my best interests to stop the business, and just stay working part-time. My business did make some money but I don't take any as income. It all got put back into the business. So our family does not draw money from it and it would not decrease our income if I stopped.

My dad is not going to be around forever. I can start a business anytime, in my line of work it is not an expensive start up.

Don't mind me I am just having a rant, writing helps me think. Now I have a lot to think about.

On a postive note I checked my ebay auction this morning and the bids on the coins have gone even higher! Are people mad? I actually started worrying that maybe I got the coin details wrong so I got them out and checked that the details I listed are all accurate. Yep. They are. And still 4 days to go!

I found this interesting article about a man browsing through Ebay and finding his own baby book for sale. His name is Bill Mack. The whole Ebay experience is an interesting one. I don't think I will ever pay full price for things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT