JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT SEARCH


Sunday, April 12, 2009

Debt elimination & health side effects.

One of the positive side effects of our debt elimination efforts has been that we have taken out health insurance. Previously I have thought that we can't afford it, but it is very obvious that we could afford it, we just chose to spend our money on other things.

One of the negative health side effects of our debt elimination efforts has been that I stopped buying chicken breast fillets and started buying minced beef. It certainly has saved us money but I wish I had remembered why I stopped eating so much red meat!

Last night I went to bed fine and this morning I woke up with very, very painful gout in my ankle. It really hurts! I haven't had an episode for almost a year. Those of you that have had it know what I mean when I say painful. I am allergic to all the medications and pain relievers so diet is my main treatment.

Anyway, today was supposed to be my first day back at work so I had to cancel.... I can only hop on the other leg so I planned on a day of Internet surfing but my computer decided to die.. or else it is seriously injured! I finally have another to use now.

So I will be returning to eating chicken again, focusing on the weight loss, drinking lots of water, hopping to the loo and reading pf blogs! What a weekend!

The good news is that the numbers look good! Only a few more days and that red bar is going down!

Thursday, 26 July 2007

Saving money on groceries.

Well today was the day I take over the grocery shopping after nearly 4 years of this being my husbands job. I wrote a list and away I went with a budget of $200.

I have just got back from my first shopping expedition to Aldi. It was different. Fast... not friendly... clinical almost..... but a LOT cheaper! So I will be shopping at Aldi in the future and making big savings on groceries.

I filled the trolley to the brim and it cost me only $157. I estimate that the same groceries at Coles would have cost me about $210-$230. Here are a few comparison prices with the Aldi price in bold and the price I usually pay in italics.

Bread 650g loaf .99c 1.47
Powdered Milk: 4.69 8.27
Wheat Bix 1kg 2.49 3.99 6.15 @corner shop!
Cornflakes 5oog 1.99 3.74
Pasta spaghetti 500g .69 1.49
Pasta penne 500g .49 1.49
Chicken drumsticks 1 kg 2.99 3.99

That is just a few examples. The cat food costs have also been solved. I have bought tinned cat food at .69c for 400g. We used to use the pouches which are 100g each. 4 of these a day bought in the boxes of 12 from Coles for $6.85 (or the corner shop more frequently for $8.69!) worked out at .57c each (or .72c each!). So this cost us $15.96 each week in wet food.

Now I will open a tin, divide it into 4 little containers and it will cost us $4.84 a week! So just this small change will save $595.92 each year!!! I find that incredible! And it is just a simple change that anyone can make.

On the home front, hubby and son now have half the retaining wall built. Cost was almost $100 for concrete. Rocks, labour, blood sweat and tears, transport all for free.

I have saved the petrol discount vouchers that come on the shopping dockets and I will use them tomorrow. Again it is something I just have never got around to.

There are savings to be made everywhere if I just take the time and make a little effort to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JOURNEY TO ELIMINATE DEBT